Majors & Careers
The Career Center offers a wide range of career assessments to help determine your:
- Existing skills versus skills you may want to develop
- Interests and how they relate to the work world
- Personal values and how to incorporate them into the world of work
- Individual personality characteristics and how they match the types of work you may enjoy
Download and complete the following files to help organize your interests and hone in on the perfect major/career. (Note: This workbook is designed to be printed double-sided and saddle stapled. Printed copies are available at the Career Center.)
Additional career assessments are given at the discretion of a career counselor, and include True Colors, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Strong Interest Inventory, Skill Scan and assessments on the Eureka.org web site. Contact a career counselor by email or phone to make an appointment to take an assessment.
Eureka.org is an online career research site that includes activities to learn about yourself, as well as various careers and educational programs.
- Self Assessment: Match your skills, personality and talents to careers that may be right for you.
- Careers: Detailed career and occupational information, including salary and related careers
- Education: Information on majors/programs of study, educational options, and financial aid
To receive the user ID for SF State, meet with a career counselor during Drop-In Hours or by appointment, or contact the front desk. Once you have entered the web site, click on "Sign Up" to create your own username and password.
What Can I Do With This Major?
"What Can I Do with This Major?" is a database that provides concise, tailored information about various majors you might be considering here at SF State. Click on "Information" to find an outline of common career areas, typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities. Click on "Links" to find a list of web sites that provide information about listed majors and related careers.
Job Choices Magazine
Job Choices Magazine is a career exploration magazine created by the National Association for Colleges and Employers now available online. Read about employers, get job search tips, and more!
Roadtrip Nationis a career exploration program started by a group of college friends who decided to hit the road in a large, green RV to talk with inspirational leaders across the country about the secret to their success. It has since spawned an annual PBS seriesof the same name, as well as a nation-wide student movement. Roadtrip Nation helps students find their passion in life, no matter what road they choose.
- Come to the Career Center to view these interviews on the Roadtrip Nation computer workstation.