Applying For LAC Jobs
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2015.
Both graduate and undergraduate students can apply to be an LAC tutor! Follow the instructions.
Click on the links on the right for complete job descriptions.
APPLICATION INFORMATION AND IMPORTANT DATES
Complete applications received by May 8th will be considered for interviews by the end of the semester.
Complete applications received after May 8th may be considered for interviews during finals week and over the summer.
Contact person: Deborah vanDommelen, Director
Positions are limited, so submit your application for consideration as early as possible.
- until May 18: the LAC reception area, HSS 348,
- after May 18: the Office of Undergraduate Studies, ADM 447, OR
- the following address:
Complete and return the application packet to one of the following:
Office of Undergraduate Studies, ADM 447
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue San Francisco, CA 94132
STEPS FOR COMPLETING APPLICATIONS FOR ALL POSITIONS
- Unofficial transcripts (and/or from other institutions if fewer than three semesters at SF State).
- An informal résumé which lists or briefly describes relevant experience
- A cover letter including times you are available for interviews (see above)
- Reading /Writing/Study Skills applicants, provide
1-Complete the application for Student Assistant/Work Study. Students with work-study awards are encouraged to apply.
- a list of relevant coursework and instructors (e.g. English 653 - Olsher, English 704 – Roberge)
- a recent, graded expository essay.
- Math /Sciences /Study Skills applicants, provide
- a list of relevant coursework
- a list of SF State courses you can tutor (See online course descriptions on the SF State web site.)
3. Meet the following other requirements
- All students who work at the LAC must be enrolled at least half-time: 6 units for undergraduates, 4 units for graduates. Work-study and international students must be enrolled full-time.
- APPLICANTS MUST BE ABLE TO COMMIT TO WORK A MINIMUM OF 7-8 HOURS PER WEEK AND TO ATTEND WEEKLY SEMINAR MEETINGS (AU 697/796)
- ALL APPLICANTS must be available for the LAC Orientation on Friday, August 21 and the LAC All-Day workshop on Saturday, August 29th.
Only COMPLETE APPLICATIONS will be considered.
Tutor Education (AU 697/796: Tutoring Across Disciplines)
AU 697/796 is a required three-unit, semester-long course designed to support new LAC tutors in their development at the LAC. Over the course of the semester, tutors will explore best practices by studying academic and practical approaches to tutoring and teaching while gaining hands-on tutoring experience with SFSU students. Weekly reading and writing assignments as well as a final culminating project are required. By helping students learn, tutors will develop a more flexible and effective approach to their own reading and writing tasks, as well as add to their own repertoire of study skills. Through varied teaching and learning opportunities, such as observation and reflection, tutors learn to become more effective teachers and communicators. Class meets once per week.
Fall 2015 seminar times:
Reading/Writing: Wednesday: 1:00-3:00
Math/Science: Wednesday 4:00-6:00