Job Title: Math/ Sciences/ Study Skills Tutor
On Campus Student Assistant or Work-Study
We are accepting applications for Fall 2015.
- Develop your communication, interpersonal, academic, and leadership skills in a supportive work environment that enhances your ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Participate in valuable academic and people skills education workshops.
- Gain experience that will enhance your resume.
- Join the LAC's friendly, talented, and diverse staff.
- Assess student learning needs in consultation with Learning Assistance Center faculty.
- Assist students to achieve learning goals in reading, study skills, math, and sciences at the introductory levels. Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of tutoring.
- Work cooperatively with staff to perform additional duties necessary for efficient operation of the Center.
- Attend mandatory staff orientation (see http://www.sfsu.edu/~lac/lacjobs.html for Fall 2014 workshop dates) and AU697/796 weekly seminar.
- Graduate students encouraged to apply; upper division status required, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and experience and/or training working with a multicultural undergraduate student population.
- Ability to involve students in their own learning process and assist them in developing skills for math and sciences.
- Preference given to individuals who can tutor a variety of levels within a subject or across subjects.
- Undergraduates who have successfully completed a GWAR course are encouraged to apply.
- Upper division students who can tutor a variety of Quantitative Reasoning courses, including introductory statistics, are encouraged to apply.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills a must.
- Unofficial transcripts must be submitted with the job application.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
Unofficial transcripts and a cover letter must be submitted with the job application. Only complete applications will be considered.
Please review tutor education requirements before you submit your application.
STARTING PAY RATE $/Hr: 12.00
TIME 10- 20 hours per week during M - TH: 9-4; F: 9-12. 7-8 hours per week minimum. Must be available in time blocks of at least 2 hours.