Computer Usage and Downloading
University Housing offers a network system in partnership with Apogee Telecom, Inc. which allows each resident living in the Residence Community direct access to the Internet via an Ethernet connection from their room or connection to the wireless network.
The connection provides access to the Internet as well as to special online resources only available to SF State students. Each room is equipped with multiple ResNet jacks so all roommates can be on-line at the same time. All you need is a Macintosh or PC Compatible with an Ethernet port, configured, and connected with a standard cat5 Ethernet cable to the RJ-45 jack in the room. (Please Note: If you decide to bring your own cable, a 30' cable can be necessary depending on your desk location).
To sign up for an Apogee account, renew or upgrade your service online, or register an additional device visit: http://www.myresnet.com.
Keeping Your Computer Safe:
ResNet is part of the SFSU campus network. By their nature, academic networks are very open. You must take certain steps to keep your computer free of viruses and other forms of computer compromise.
- Install the free SFSU licensed McAfee anti-virus software on your computer before you connect to ResNet. Go to this web address to download your free copy. http://www.sfsu.edu/~doit/sw.htm (Have your SFSU ID and password).
- Perform automated daily system updates and anti-virus signature updates. Only daily updates will adequately protect your computer.
Support a User Friendly Network
Follow these simple tips when using the ResNet:
- Turn off your computer when not in use.
- Turn off file-sharing software when not in use.
- Do not share copyrighted materials illegally. The Recording Industry Association of American (RIAA) and other copyright holders have been tracking campus illegal file sharing and pursuing legal action.
- Perform routine scans for viruses.
- Follow the Acceptable Use Policies http://www.sfsu.edu/~housing/resnet/accept_use.html and http://apogeenet.net/support/eua.pdf
- Remember, ResNet is a shared community resource.
Our Apogee Powered ResNet features a toll-free 24/7 telephone support line (888) 478-8864. In-house support staff is also available for problems that require a house-call. Call the Apogee number above to make an appointment.
Residence Computer Labs
ResNet runs two computer labs for use by residents and their guests. The 24 hour computer lab in Mary Park Hall provides 7 PC’s and 3 Macintosh systems along with a laser printer. The 24-hour computer lab in the Science and Technology Theme Community provides 20 PC’s and a laser printer. The STTC lab is scheduled for classes and events at certain times. Class hours are posted at the lab. A variety of application software is available in both labs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. There is a charge for laser printing.
Illegal Downloads and Other Violations
It is vital for all our residents comply with our campus computer use policy, particularly concerning use of copyrighted materials. Misuse of computer facilities or resources includes:
- Unauthorized entry into a file, for any purpose
- Use of another’s identification or password
- Use of computing facilities, campus network, or other resources to interfere with the work of another member of the University Community
- Use of computing facilities and resources to send obscene or intimidating and abusive messages
- Use of computing facilities and resources to interfere with normal University operations
- Use of computing facilities and resources to download music, videos and films in violation of copyright laws.
- Violation of a campus computer use policy.
Unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, including peer-to-peer file sharing, may subject a student to civil and criminal liabilities, including fines of up to $250,000 per offense. More information on penalties, SF State disciplinary policies and legal alternatives is available at: http://www.sfsu.edu/~secure/copyrightlaw.html.
For further information on getting connected see the Quick Start Guide: http://www.sfsu.edu/~housing/resnet/documents/Quickstart-SFSU.pdf
Your Cable TV
Cable TV by Apogee is included for all residents living in the Residence Community. This channel line-up includes programming customized for SF State students, including several channels available in HD.
You can view the channel line-up online at http://www.apogeenet.net/pdf/channels_sfsu.pdf or check the current programming on Channel 31.
Residents that have an 'HDTV' or 'HD-capable' television (requires an NTSC tuner receiver) can view many channels on the line-up available in High Definition.
For help setting up or troubleshooting your TV connection see the Connection Guide at http://www.apogeenet.net/pdf/connection_tips.pdf.